Thursday, April 5, 2018

Publication. The Payoff for Hard Work




I am please to report, I received more that just rejections in this first quarter of 2018. Specifically, two publications have accepted five of my poems. Happy, happy day.

Dodging the Rain, a literary and arts journal based in Galway, Ireland, will be publishing four of my poems in their June 2018 issue. My interest in this journal was based on the editor makeup, all past grads of NUIG's (National University Ireland Galway) MA programs. I so loved my time at NUIG as a student abroad in the summer of 2015 and I do hope to return and attend that MA program myself . Preferably before I turn eighty. This is the fourth time an Ireland based publication has accepted one or more of my poems in the last two years. Four. It's a tiny number but still, so much better than zero.

Months To Years, a fairly new journal, will be publishing one of my poems in May. I was drawn to submit to them because of the intent of the editor and the CFO. They are Renata and Tim Louwers respectively and both had experienced the loss of spouses. They felt there was opportunity to improve conversations and written work around terminal illness, end of life decisions, and mortality. They divide their time between Virginia's  Shenandoah Valley and San Francisco. My years in hospice nursing continue to mold the direction of much of my work, so this journal feels like an excellent fit.

After these poems are published I'll be able to share them here on my blog.

As thrilled as I am to have these acceptances come my way, it's important to understand how much effort it took, to make this happen. This is not a Praise me I worked so hard, statement but more of a Oh Dear God getting published takes so much effort one. Yes, there is the rare bird who writes one piece and submits it to one publication and receives one glorious acceptance, but for the rest of us common fowl, a ton of work must be completed and another ton of rejections must be read, absorbed, and filed before VOILA! our name appears in print. Here is the "formula" that worked for me.

Since January 1, 2018 I have submitted 153 poems to thirty-nine literary journals. Some journals were print only, some were on-line only and several did both. Some only wanted one poem while one accepted up to eight. Most wanted between three and five.

Of those thirty-nine journals, four so far have rejected my work and two (mentioned above) have accepted poems. The rest I have not yet heard from. This is not unusual as the competition is stiff and the number of submissions is great. Some publications receive thousands of poems every month and many will tell you may not hear from them for six months or longer.
       
Regarding the poems, 153 sent does not mean 153 different poems. For example, I may have sent poem A to ten journals, Poem B to twenty and Poems A, B and C to fifteen. Not all poems are appropriate for all journals.

Although it appears to be a large amount of work for little payoff, I don't see it that way. I write first for myself and then second, for an audience. The act of writing itself is a great payoff.  It's excellent practice in the basics of spelling, grammar and language use and it continues to hone my writing discipline skills. On average I write four hours a day, five days a week. Ass in seat, is the mantra I repeat in my head. I suppose some people can write standing up, not me. Although I can write on planes, trains and in automobiles.

Most importantly, writing gives me time alone. Not only, am I unable to write standing up, I am unable to write when I am around people I know. So, I don't write when my husband is home, when I am babysitting, or when traveling with my sisters. But, put me in the middle of Chicago on a park bench surrounded by 2.8 million strangers, and I can sit and write all day. 

Maybe even all night. 




8 comments:

  1. Hoorah! April is "National Poetry Month," (although I think every month is) and maybe there will be more acceptances to come. Stay creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mirka. Since this post I've had another acceptance. This one from TAB Journal, a publication of Chapman University in Orange, California. I feel like a sort of dam has broken and I'm enjoying getting wet.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad to read that you hadn't written 153 poems because that sounded like a superwoman off the scale. I'm very impressed by your four hours a day as well as your four acceptances.Huge congrats,delighted for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorna. the four hours a day is ONLY because my children are all grown. For the first time in decades, my time is my own here on our tiny farm. Still, there are days when my writing time is divided up into 15 minutes here, a few scribbles in the car there and so on. As you know!

      Delete
  3. This is an important post for aspiring poets and authors to read. Talent is certainly important, but so is the legwork it takes to get that talent published.

    I also appreciate your last two paragraphs, because they ring true to me too. I think you're more productive than I am and now I must seriously consider how to commit to at least several hours per day dedicated to just writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am committed to writing Leigh, but obviously not committed enough to writing about writing since I'm so far behind in responding to your comment. Just another two hours in each day and I think I can manage. Just two hours.

      Delete
  4. Dear Donna, Hoorah, I am so delighted for you and also now inspired to get off my rump and start sending some of my stuff to competitions! I'm in a small writing group where we read each other's work and then critique it. It is addictive. I've had a look at fish and intend to have a stab at their memoir competition.
    I'm with Mirka Breen, every month is poetry month! I look forward to reading yours in due course.

    ReplyDelete